Old October 14th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

Default radio transmission trouble

This isn't all that uncommon, depending on the antenna type and it's
location you may blanket the "line-of-sight" transmission to some degree. I
assume you have the standard tail mounted antenna from the factory, even
with this there can be some reflection from other grounding or metal
surfaces that will limit the transmission cone.
I've seen this with antennas mounted on the belly of airplanes reflecting
off landing gears, also transmitting essentially down to the ground so
ground communications are poor, even raspy as the signal is bounced from the
antenna off the ground or gears to the antenna again.. also poor
communications to the ground from the air with top mounted antennas where
the signal air-to-air is 5x5 because of the ground plane blocking this
transmission cone.
just a thought...try it, see if the direction of the transmission is in the
way you are in relation to the other gliders in the thermals or in a
straight line to see if this isolates your issue....if it doesn't then we'll
look for other suspect problems
tim

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"SD" wrote in message
I am hoping someone can help with a problem I am having in
mySZD55.while thermaling some transmissions are lost as I turn.it
seems to recieve fine no matter if I am turning or not.it's an older
avionic dittle 720c.how do I diagnose if it's antenna related or just
a bad radio?
Thanks, Dennis Vreeken. aka 4Q