Old January 29th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cmw

Default New runway in Portugal.

On Jan 9, 3:52 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote in news:c23298b7-fc88-4720-9952-
:

Have any of you airline captains landed on this runway?

http://udayfun.blogspot.com/2007/12/...-portugal.html

No, but I know a few guys who have. It'sMadeira. not in Protugal, but on
one of it's possesion islands off the coast of Africa. I have a friend who
works for Monarch in the UK and he told me a bit about it. Even with the
extensions it's still a bit short. Also, when the wind blows from certain
directions around the island, you can have some very strange winds, varying
from a headwind at one end of the runway to a ferocious tailwind at the
other. I've seen the Jeppy for it and this is noted there. Turbulence is a
big issue as well, and I read a report of a 757 operator who nearly came to
grief there. The 757 has very sensitive ailerons ( actually, it's the roll
spoilers that cause the problem) and it's very easy to get a PIO going in
one in turbulence. The captain who wrote up the report said he didn't
believe in the PIO problem and thought anyone who whined about it was a
sissy and /or didn;t know how to fly "proper".
Until it happened to him in Funchal.

Unique place!

Bertie

If anyone is interested there are 3 posts on Madeira Airport at
getalookatthis.com

http://www.getalookatthis.com/2008/0...rtugal-part-3/
http://www.getalookatthis.com/2008/0...rtugal-part-2/
http://www.getalookatthis.com/2007/1...y-in-portugal/

Part 3 shows video of a pilot twice aborting a landing, not sure if he
got it down the third time or not.

regards
Craig