Old June 3rd 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Ken S. Tucker

Default Ram air

On Jun 3, 7:54 am, wrote:
On Jun 2, 9:45 pm, Billy Crabs wrote:

let me try to explain myself better, the amount of air that is drawn
into an engine is in direct coralation to cylinder volume and the cam
shafts "lift and duration" A valve can only stay open as long as the
cam lobe holds the lifter up, therefore only allowing as much air/fuel
as was scientificly formulated for the cylinder.
for instance, lets say you have two guys who are going to breath in
deep, now even if you are blowing an air hose in their faces, they are
only going to be able to inhale as much as there lungs will hold. Now
lets say they are inhaling pot and when they blow out its put into a
"turbo", the turbine spins and sends the unused pot back to their
lungs, but it's still only as much as they hold in their
lungs(cylinder volume)

Air density in the cylinder is governed by its pressure and
temperature. MUCH more air can be forced into the cylinder if the
manifold pressure is boosted; this is the principle behind getting
more power out of a given number of cubic inches. You need to do some
studying on the matter. I have, and I teach this stuff in college.
Dan

I wonder if ram scoops were ever installed near the
prop tips. Probably too expensive for GA, but a WW2
A/C with tips spinning at what(?) 500-600 mph would
give a nice pressure boost.
I've read dual phase superchargers were used in recon
A/C to get the speed and altitude.
Ken