Old February 26th 17, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Do you crab or forward slip in X wind landings

On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 1:25:53 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
This thread is more interesting that I would have guessed. I thought standard practice was to teach both. That's what we did when I was a student pilot. Crabbing was emphasized as the better technique for managing larger cross winds (and we students figured it out, just fine).

It's obvious to any pilot proficient with both slips and crabbing approaches that the cross wind limits of the crabbing approach are vastly higher than what you can manage with slipping alone. About 50%, I'd reckon.

see also: Peter Schiff, The Proficient Pilot.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

I teach both but find most end up preferring slip. I do insist on slip when teaching in the Cub. My airplane- my rules.
UH