Old December 22nd 04, 09:51 PM
John Carrier

I didn't fly it (got its successor, the F-8 which used some of the concepts
developed in the Cutlass). From those that did, if you don't mind 2nd hand
info.

Systems (Hydraulics, electrical, etc) were unreliable. Underpowered in
basic engine (as were most navy jets of the era). The tailless design used
ailevators (ailerons also serving as elevators) which unfortunately acted to
decamber the wing (reducing lift) as they were commanded trailing edge up
(to increase attitude, AOA and lift). It was unforgiving around the boat.
I think it enjoyed a level of mediocrity shore based (fun to fly, one great
turn), but never actually deployed. The Blues used one briefly as a solo
aircraft. First Navy jet with afterburner. Longest nose strut ever
installed in a tactical aircraft. Seat modified to tilt forward for
improved vis during approach.

Noteworthy developments. Balsa/aluminum sandwich (the balsa was cut
crossgrain, Vought had a patented name for it, can't remember anymore)
construction for lightweight strength ... a poor man's honeycomb concept.
Trim system using potentiometer (thumbwheels) on stick for pitch and roll
trim vice the ubiquitous "coolly hat" trim button ... superior IMO, perhaps
not as reliable though I never experienced a primary trim failure in the
F-8. Early yaw and roll stab systems.

R / John

"Greasy Rider" wrote in message
On 22 Dec 2004 10:35:25 -0800, "MuseumTech"
postulated :
I was wondering if there were any retired Naval Aviators who have
flight hours logged with the dreaded F7U Cutlass. I work at the
National Museum of Naval Aviation here in Pensacola. We currently have
one on display. Aesthetically speaking, it's a pretty nice looking
plane, but I have read a lot of negative things about it. Were the
flaws merely due to the low performance of the Westinghouse engine?
Were there other flaws? I would love to hear any stories from people
who flew this plane.
Thank you and Happy Holidays

If you Google F7U Cutlass you will get several hits.

http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/specs/vought/f7u-3.htm

Buried down in there are several comments about the Cutlass and one is
allegedly by a F7U pilot with his e-mail address shown.

There are several more hits on the F7U.