Old May 26th 18, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Birds do it too...

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 9:47:03 AM UTC-4, WB wrote:
Interesting article at The Scientist. Parallels between behavior of soaring birds and soaring pilots (I almost wrote "soaring humans".

original url:

https://www.the-scientist.com/?artic...hsmi=63231246/

Short url:

http://tiny.cc/mutzty

Add Anhingas to the list of good soaring birds!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhing..._in_flight.jpg
Yes, these dorky-looking birds that dive-bomb after fish and then sit in trees with their wings spread out to dry off. I encountered flocks of them over SC, flying in neat stacked V-formations, only to see them break into this chaotic fur-ball when thermaling. They also don't seem to care about the FARs since I have seen them climb right into the cloud only to see them emerge out of the side of that cloud back in their neat V-formation.
Uli
'AS'