Old July 14th 05, 04:33 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Longworth" wrote in message
ups.com...

We arrived at the airport at around 7 and were off by 7:50 with an
IFR clearance to Cory, almost as filed with the exception of the
starting point direct from KPOU to WEARD. In contact with NY
approach, it was confirmed that we were cleared direct to WEARD.
I began a turn toward the intersection while we climbing through
2500'. Oops! I was firmly reminded to adhere to Dutchess Four
Departure which called for climbing on runway heading maintaining
3000'. They do keep a close eye on us.

If you were cleared direct from KPOU to WEARD you weren't cleared via the
Dutchess Four Departure, a turn toward WEARD was the proper thing to do.
Flying the Dutchess Four Departure would have been a violation of your
clearance.

All went smoothly until we had almost reached the opposite shore. We
began to notice quite a discrepancy between the GPS path and the VOR.
We were 60 miles from the Erie VOR and almost that to Windsor
VOR ahead. We heard a call from ATC about being perhaps a little off
course? Yes, we had drifted more than 3 or 4 miles laterally. We decided
to rely on the GPS while we monitored the VOR receivers. I think it was
just too far for VOR use.

Yeah, you were well beyond their standard service volumes.

June 31.

In what universe?