Old March 27th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Military Pilot Training - Soloing the T-37

es330td wrote in news:badbce80-0109-4d10-b69f-
:

On Mar 27, 2:19*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
es330td wrote in news:d2958fda-48ab-4e90-8258-
:

On Mar 25, 9:47*pm, 150flivver wrote:
Just to answer some questions:

**Lots of fuel stops to get anywhere interesting.

I'm kind of curious about this statement. *Wikipedia's specs on the
Tweet show a range of 800 NM, a distance roughly half that from LAX

ATL or more than a third of the way from LAX to JFK. *Unless those
specs are wrong, it looks like someone should be able to get

anywhere
they want in two fuel stops or fewer from either coast.

That's probably 800 miles to dry tanks.

Bertie

A 45 minute reserve cuts that range down to about 600 NM. I guess
that adds an average of one additional stop for long distance trips.

And then there is manuevering at low alt, at which jets suck diesel like
there is no tomorrow. You have to get up high and get pointed in the
right direction quick to make the best use of them.

IOW, if you descend into the pattern with what would have been 200 miles
worth of fuel, then have to go around and divert, it's not going to get
you the same distance as it would have if you were up at FL310 Having
said that, 600 nm is probably a reasonble figure to assume for an
airplane like that. I don't know anyone who's flown one, though. Got a
friend with a Vampire and he's hard pressed to get it 300 miles without
external tanks. It takes off with 55 minutes of fuel on board as
standard. I think the external tanks about double that.

Bertie