Old December 15th 04, 04:26 PM

"Reid & Julie Baldwin" wrote:
The news lately has mentioned that the FCC is meeting to
discuss relaxing the ban on using cell phones in airplanes.

Interference and electronics aside, just out of common COURTESY to
others, I hope the current rule is upheld.

How many calls CAN'T wait until the passenger is back on the ground? In
airliners, subjecting the person/people in seats around you to your
cellphone chatter when there's no choice about where you sit is both
inconsiderate and rude.

We have cellphones belonging to employees and customers ringing every
few minutes at work, 98% of which calls could have waited until a break,
lunch or after hours ... how do I know? because everyone in the entire
work area can hear the conversations whether they want to or not! Ditto
for restaurants, where being seated next to a table with an incessantly
ringing cellphone and the ensuing loud conversations is as much of an
intrusion as a toddler standing up in the booth behind you screaming in
your ear while you try to enjoy the quiet, relaxing dinner you waited
all week for.

The Post Office now has signs that read: "Please turn off your
cellphone. This is a cellphone-free establishment." Bravo! ...
cellphones are terrific for true emergencies, but some people have them
permanently attached to their ear, calling to announce whenever they
break a nail or lose an eyelash.

How many questionable things do you see people on the road do while they
have their cellphone up to their ear. I shudder to think about pilots
talking on their cellphone about who's going to the Christmas party and
with whom while missing another aircraft announcing their position and
intentions.

Aren't there *enough* potential distractions without adding CELLPHONES
to that mix?