Old August 14th 03, 11:59 PM

Ed Rasimus wrote:
wrote:

Thanks. I've tried searching the links you provided above and
found nothing, so maybe you could explain what "Oak Leaf Cluster"
and "first thru tenth to the Oak Leaf Cluster" means in the excerpt
below?

An Oak Leaf Cluster is a second (or more) award of the same
decoration. Rather than wear multiples of the ribbon, you display the
basic (original) ribbon with a bronze OLC. Multiple OLC's are worn
with multiples of five being a single silver OLC, depicting five
bronze or single OLCs.

"The award was won in an Oct. 5, 1966, rescue operation in which
Captain Marron was responsible for the rescue of two McDonnell
F-4C Phantom crew members shot down over North Vietnam.

Small world, isn't it. That rescue is described in Chapter 16 of my
book, "Pilots Flying Fighters". The F-4C was Tempest 3 and the crew
were Capt. W. R. Andrews and 1st Lt. E. W. Garland. They were shot
down in Route Pack V, between the Black and Red Rivers. Andrews was
KIA and Garland was recovered. The Jolly Green pilot received the Air
Force Cross for the action. I was overhead, capping in a 105.

Next, Captain Marron recieved the first Oak Leaf Cluster to the
DFC for heroism in connection with a Dec. 5, 1966, action. The
citation read: On that date while engaged in a search and rescue
mission for a downed RF-101 pilot, Captain Marron attacked and
destroyed a heavy automatic weapons position that was firing at
close range on his leader. Without hesitation and at great personal
risk, Captain Marron rolled in on the deadly fire in a successful
effort to both draw fire to himself and ultimately to completely
destroy the hostile gun position. His courage and timely
decision undeoubtedly saved the life of his leader. Finally, Captain
Marron was awarded the first through tenth Oak Leaf Cluster to the
Air Medal."

The first OLC to his DFC was the second award to him of the
Distinguished Flying Cross. The Air Medal was usually awarded for
"sustained operations" meaning mission count. North Vietnam missions
got an air medal for every ten. First through tenth OLC means he would
wear two silver OLC's on his basic Air Medal ribbon.

Pearls like this response of yours makes it all worthwhile and is why
I've remained on this NG (mostly lurking) for all these years. I am
going to re-read (no, strike that...I'm going to STUDY) Chapter 16 in
your book tonight.

Thank you, Major Rasimus.

-Mike Marron