Old May 18th 20, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

Default The aerodynamics of a towplane in a kiting glider situation

At 10:11 18 May 2020, Sci Fi wrote:
At 06:18 18 May 2020, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 6:20:53 PM UTC-7,

w=
rote:
Presumably, cable force has an upper bound of 80% to

200% of the glider
g=
ross weight (FAR 91.309).
=20

If that 80-200% is correct it could mean any weak link, for a

350kg glide
could be from 280 kg to 700kg breaking strain. Perhaps the

lower figur
should be used for aero-tows, as it is sooo much safer.

However I don'
know if weak links of less than 500kg are made.

I have seen a 4 ton winch moved on a 2 seater launch(1000Kg)
links you can stop a tug and strip it of all its airspeed quite easily.
Tost make a series of links down to 80kg for hang-gliders ,but I
do not think that is the answer.

The only way I can see it working is an ,and+and+and system.

If the elevator is hard up+the angle is above a set figure +the
load is above set figure the rope is released.

You would need a load sensor ,a light beam over the rope to limit
the deflection and a micro switch on the elevator.If all 3 occurred
together the rope is released.You would probably need a
magnetic coupling.
And you would still get nuisance releases.