Old June 10th 04, 03:22 AM
C J Campbell

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
Looking for any feedback from folks that had mostly C-172 time (zero

complex
and/or RG time) then transitioned to a complex airplane when you went to
buy. What did you transition to? Was it a good decision/positive
experience? What type of insurance requirements did you face in terms of
dual time, RG experience, etc.? Were you instrument rated at the time of
transitioning to the complex aircraft?

I bought a Cessna 172RG in 1997 shortly after getting my license. The
transition was extremely simple. The insurance company wanted 20 hours of
dual instruction in complex airplanes. I did not have an instrument rating.

The 172RG was my first airplane. I had numerous maintenance problems with
it, especially with the gear, until I finally replaced the entire hydraulic
pack. After that I had no more trouble with the gear. Still, I would not
recommend getting a complex aircraft for personal use. I am much happier
with my 206. It is faster, carries a bigger load, and I never have to worry
about forgetting to put the feet down.