Old August 14th 04, 03:30 AM
Bob Olds

" jls" wrote in message .. .
In order to be a flight instructor you need 5,000 feet hangar space, 1,500
feet office space, plus two airplanes, one of which must be IFR certified.
This is the official rule, in writing and enforced by the airport authority.
What this effectively does is exclude any competition for the one flight
school on the airport.

There is also another loopy rule which excludes A&P's from working on
aircraft at this airport, unless for the monopoly on the field.

Check to see if there are any conspiracies in restraint of trade or
competition at your airport. You may have a bizarre rule like this giving
someone or a company a monopoly on your airport.

These illegal, unAmerican rules founded on greed will shortly be dissolved
or litigated, you can be sure of it.

We had the same kind of situation at a county airport in San
Bernardino county, Calif. We did some research and found that if the
airport got any federal funding they could not allow a monopoly on the
airport.The federal funding would stop and refunds were in order.
We flooded the airport commission with our members and others and won
out over the county stooges.
That was about 1980.

Bob Olds