Old April 19th 05, 03:16 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Matt Barrow wrote:
AVweb's John Deakin takes aim at yet another OWT (Old Wive's Tale). While
running a fuel tank dry in your recip powered plane may serve to increase
your heart rate, John explains why it's not such a bad thing at all, and it
is probably a really good idea for most of us. In fact, John explains why
it's one of the first things you ought to do with a new plane and how it
could save your life someday.

Flying the old Cherokee Six with four fuel tanks, you'd end up with almost 10
gallons unusable if you didn't run a tank dry occasionally. I tried to never
let it happen with passengers on board. Screwed up once though... probably
scared the hell out of them though nobody said anything about it once I'd
explained what had happened. Mea culpa.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE