Old July 27th 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_3_]

Default Wire sizes

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:52:30 -0500, Fred Blair wrote:

What are the recommended wire sizes for use in a glider?

Power? The only power is a radio and Cambridge Model 20 and LNav

I wired mine with 13 amp UK triple flex power cable, denominated Earth
(green/yellow stripe), Live (brown) and Neutral (blue).

The Earth wire is common and fitted with a 4 amp fuse at the batteries.
Live connects one battery to the radio (Filser ATR-500) and T&B via a 4
amp fuse at the panel. Neutral connects the other battery to both varios
and the GPS via a 4 amp fuse at the panel. Both switched by a two pole
push-on/push-off switch on the panel.

I split the circuits so that, if forced to fit a transponder, I can put
it, radio and T&B on one side and keep the varios and GPS separate. If
push comes to shove, I care about having power for the varios and GPS more
than I do about powering the rest. If I need a more flexible setup in
future I can achieve that simply by replacing the switch and fuses on the
panel.

Speaker?

One side of a piece of medium quality dual shielded cable.

This is the cabling you'd use for a stereo interconnect between CD player
and the preamp or between preamp and power amp. Its a figure 8 cable, each
side being about 4 mm (5/32") in diameter.

Push to talk?

Lightweight 3 mm (1/8") diam shielded cable.

Boom mic?

Other side of the speaker's shielded cable. The speaker enclosure is on
the cockpit wall alongside me and doubles as the boom mic mount.

HTH

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |