Old July 30th 11, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default Etiquette in a Thermal

On Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:22:46 PM UTC-7, tstock wrote:
open brakes anf get behind a thermalling glider matching bank angle, and
then continue with brakes to slow down and sort of slip backwards into
safer position... maybe this is not actually what is going on... but thats
how it looks.

Never seen anyone waste energy by using brakes.

If I expect to arrive at the same altitude as the other glider, then I aim to be alongside and outside the other glider so I end up following him in in the thermal. Think of a 2 lane roundabout and the other guy's using the inner lane. Pull in so you're outside his turn and a bit behind, if he decides to leave, turn into his tail to take his spot, or as your energy bleeds off, slide in behind him.

If coming in fast, then overtake on the outside as you climb around and settle in on the opposite side and above. Always keep the other glider(s) in sight.

I consider thermalling to be a 50/50 proposition. I do half the avoidance, the other pilot does the other half (unless he doesn't, and I'm prepared for that as well).

A circling glider can generally be expected to follow the current circular path, go tighter, or looser, perhaps rolling wings level. So avoid that area. If you're worried about him turning into you, then give him a call "5Z, I'm on your outside", and he will respond "5Z...". No need to identify yourself. If he doesn't respond, then don't get close.

When circling close to another glider, I like to wave, and expect a wave back. Tells me the guy's got his head out of the cockpit. Do this at the first opportunity, then once a minute or two. If he doesn't wave back, he's not paying attention to you.

-Tom