Old June 8th 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Ipad review - Weather briefing Part 1 - Video

Ohhh, good information Herbert,

I knew some hard drives had that limitation but never thought to check
into that for the Ipad.

Ipad does have a GPS that runs independent of 3G and wireless. I
tested it by turning off the 3G and wireless and it worked. I would
not suggest depending on it in flight even as a back up though as it's
accuracy fluctuation was too big (up to 200 foot) With 3G and
wireless assist, the GPS function is dead on.

I will also say after yesterday using the Ipad in my car that the
screen reflection on a sunny day was very, very annoying. I was able
to tilt it in such a way to reduce the reflection and could easily
read it but I can't imagine me having that much flexibility in the
cockpit of a plane especially above a cloud deck when it would be
ultra bright above and below me.

On Jun 7, 6:49 am, "Herbert Paulis"
wrote:

I have also considered using the iPad for my flying but it says in its specs
that it is only certified for operation up to 3000m, i.e. roughly 10,000ft.
This in my optinion severly limits its usage for flying, together with the
missing GPS.

regards
Herbert