Old July 21st 17, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Figure 8 VS circling

Virtually all my glider time and heck fixed wing and rotary wing flight time has been in the mountains of the West. Was looking at multiple traces of a a well known pilot that anytime he was below the mountain tops he used figure 8's waiting to circle until he was several hundred feet higher than the mountain. I have certainly flown enough figure 8's but I also will circle low next to a mountain (Sierra's, Whites and Inyo's) to climb up. I was wondering if some other experienced mountain flyers could weigh in on the safety of thermaling next to a mountain vs using figure 8's until clear of the top. If I am flying along a range and hit lift, I all usually take a few figure eights until I know the local wind eddies and lift patterns, then I transition from figure 8's to circles, clearing each turn well before I am committed to completing the turn. thanks for your comments.