Old July 21st 17, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Figure 8 VS circling

Yup I had that recent incident reported by one of our club members in mind as I read this thread. I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what happened. But he was not circling (until forced to by the air). Not even a figure-8. Just cruising along the ridge. What was needed was more airspeed, and good thing there was enough distance and altitude. The location (Mt. Lafayette) is a picturesque knife-edge ridge that is perpendicular to the typical winds, and a short distance downwind from another parallel ridge. And both ridges are neither straight nor smooth. I've experienced all kinds of strange air currents in the valley between them. I stay out of there unless I can stay well higher than the top of the ridge, but that alone is not enough.