Old January 21st 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
qui si parla Campagnolo

Default Navy Wings?

Mike Kanze wrote:
one Black Friday they went into Pensacola and cut more than 400 students in training.

I remember this too. I had just finished BJN School at NAS Glynco, after having been offered a switch from RIO School (I was 3 weeks into the RIO pipeline) because "the Navy desperately needed A-6 B/Ns."

You can guess the rest. No one in our BJN class got any A-6 RAG orders, and there were no impending inputs into the A-3 or RA-5C RAGs (the two other outlets at that time for BJN grads). My entire class was SERGRADed.

When I got my wings along with about 15 others in Beeville(first 2
weeks of June, 1974) we were the first nuggets to get fleet orders for
a long time(maybe a year or more?) 2 F-4 seats( I got one-other Mike
Price), some A-7 seats, couple of A-6..more than a few A-4..Not enough
nuggets to fill all the rquirments but they wouldn't let any Sergrads
take the excess.

I felt sorry for myself, but not for long once the word got out about the Big Attrite. At least I had wings, a DIFOT billet at VT-7 / NAS Meridian, and a deferred shot at the bird (A-6) and coast (west) of my choice. It all worked out OK, except my 18 months at NMM were the longest 3 years of my life.

--
Mike Kanze

"There's a fine line between evil and underpaid."

- Carol The Secretary, Dilbert (1/14/2007)

wrote in message ...
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:34:22 GMT, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

snipped for brevity

As a follow-on, at the wind-down of the war, requirements were
drastically reduced (late 1970) and while USAF chose to cut the
training pipeline at the acquisition point--reduce recruiting for
pilot slots, the Navy opted to cut immediately across the board. On
one Black Friday they went into Pensacola and cut more than 400
students in training. Several were within weeks of graduation.

I remember this. I was in Pensacola with a CQ det from VS-30 (the S-2
RAG) the next week. I had a cousin about to graduate from AOC and he
got RIFed. He told me that they just went in and cut the bottom 50%
of each class. He was awaiting his discharge.

You could pick up REAL good deals on "muscle cars" as the BOQ parking
lot looked like a used car lot for all the "for sale" signs.

Navy personnel management practices are not always "top drawer." :-(

Bill Kambic
Haras Lucero, Kingston, TN
Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão
------=_NextPart_000_0064_01C73BDB.25AB2C00

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
META content="MSHTML 6.00.5730.11" name=GENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=#ffffff
DIVFONT face=Arial>one Black Friday they went into Pensacola and cut more
than 400 students in training./FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=ArialI remember this too. I had just finished BJN School at NAS
Glynco, after having been offered a switch from RIO School (I was 3 weeks into
the RIO pipeline) because "the Navy desperately needed A-6 B/Ns." /FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=ArialYou can guess the rest. No one in our BJN class got
any A-6 RAG orders, and there were no impending inputs into the A-3 or RA-5C
RAGs (the two other outlets at that time for BJN grads). My entire class was
SERGRADed. /FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=ArialI felt sorry for myself, but not for long once the word
got out about the Big Attrite. At least I had wings, a DIFOT billet at VT-7 /
NAS Meridian, and a deferred shot at the bird (A-6) and coast (west)
of my choice. It all worked out OK, except my 18 months at NMM were the longest
3 years of my life. /FONT/DIVFONT face=Arial
DIVBR-- BRMike Kanze/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIV"There's a fine line between evil and underpaid."/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIV- Carol The Secretary, Dilbert (1/14/2007)BR/FONT/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE
style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"
DIV<A /A> wrote in
message A
href="news:8502r21u9bn3217nael2dsag08u39koc2t@4ax. om/A.../DIVOn
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:34:22 GMT, Ed RasimusBR<A
"rasimusS /A>
wrote:BRBR<snipped for brevity>BRBR>As a follow-on, at the
wind-down of the war, requirements wereBR>drastically reduced (late 1970)
and while USAF chose to cut theBR>training pipeline at the acquisition
point--reduce recruiting forBR>pilot slots, the Navy opted to cut
immediately across the board. OnBR>one Black Friday they went into
Pensacola and cut more than 400BR>students in training. Several were
within weeks of graduation. BRBRI remember this.  I was in Pensacola
with a CQ det from VS-30 (the S-2BRRAG) the next week.  I had a cousin
about to graduate from AOC and heBRgot RIFed.  He told me that they
just went in and cut the bottom 50%BRof each class.  He was awaiting
his discharge.BRBRYou could pick up REAL good deals on "muscle cars" as
the BOQ parkingBRlot looked like a used car lot for all the "for sale"
signs.BRBRNavy personnel management practices are not always "top drawer."
:-(BRBRBill KambicBRHaras Lucero, Kingston, TNBRMangalarga
Marchador:  Uma Raça, Uma Paixão/BLOCKQUOTE/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_0064_01C73BDB.25AB2C00--