Old April 9th 04, 02:16 PM
Robert Moore

BoDEAN wrote

The other student, likes to be 10-20 degrees angled left / right of
center line before touching down (ie. side loading)
Any tips?

I've had a more than a couple of students do this. I solved the problem
by demonstrating to them that they were unconsciously applying rudder
just before touchdown. By controlling the rudder myself and having the
student place his/her feet flat on the floor, it was obvious that they
were causing the change in heading.

This behavior was observed in students who were "bracing" themselves with
their feet and legs to assist in pulling back on the yoke for the landing
flare. A couple of students with leg/knee problems (artificial joints)
were not able to "brace" symmetrically.

I have also been known to require students to fly without shoes in order
to gain a better feel for what they are doing with the rudder pedals.

Bob Moore
ATP CFI