Old February 18th 12, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

At 16:15 18 February 2012, Dan Marotta wrote:
Chris, I'm going to try to analyze the height trace using the graphical
functions in Microsoft Excel. I'll look for a sudden increase in rate of

climb and make a guess from there. I might say in advance that I'm not
hopeful, but this should be a fun exercise.

Dan

Dan, I do quite a lot of cloud flying mostly to keep current as cloud
flying is allowed in UK competition and sometimes it is necessary to fly in
cloud to stay up.

However....it rarely is faster. I usually find that my climb rate drops as
I enter cloud because the artificial horizon although good is not anything
like as good as the real thing. In my experience if cloud base allows it is
much faster to fly the energy below cloud.

BTW I also find cloud flying fun which is after all the reason I go
flying.

J1M