Old February 19th 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default New Butterfly Vario

Thanks to Chris who took the time to look up the IGC specification for the
log file. From his analysis, I was able to determine that the cloud base on
one of the flights was around 5,200 ft (lower than my airport!). The trace
looked the same, just the altitude scale was changed.

And it's interesting what Jim said about reduced lift inside the cloud. I
would have expected higher lift due to the heat release. Maybe that's all
expended right at cloud base...

It was a fun exercise!

"Dan Marotta" wrote in message
Well, just going on a look-see, it looks like cloud base in one of the
traces was around 17,200 MSL with a top of climb of 24,740 MSL and, in the
other, around 16,000 MSL with a top of climb of 34,480.

So... How'd I do? I'm also thinking that your altitudes might be in
meters and if that's the case, then it might be...

Cloud Base: 1,720 meters, Top of climb: 2,447 meters for the first
flight, and, for the second,

Cloud Base: 1,600 meters, Top of climb: 3448 meters.

Since I can't paste a picture in here, I sent you the Excel file with the
traces included on Sheet 3. Please let us know if such a quick look came
close.

"Dan Marotta" wrote in message
Chris, I'm going to try to analyze the height trace using the graphical
functions in Microsoft Excel. I'll look for a sudden increase in rate of
climb and make a guess from there. I might say in advance that I'm not
hopeful, but this should be a fun exercise.

Dan

BTW, I received your IGC files.

"Chris Nicholas" wrote in message
Dan, see your emails. Regards - Chris