Old March 25th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Practice IMC in real IMC

Let's see: I'm uncomfortable doing unusual attitude recovery in IMC. The
accident record shows this to be probably the top killer of IR pilots.

I think this is a simpleminded use of statistics, and suggest (avec
caveat) that an examination of -why- it is the top killer (if in fact it
is; I don't know this) would be called for. I speculate:

1: the unusual attitude came as a surprise,
2: it came as a result of an instrument failure (such as vacuum) and
subsequent lack of partial panel chops,
3: it came about single pilot
4: the pilot was not sharp at recovery (or even IMC skills)
and/or
5: it came about with a low ceiling, allowing no room for VFR recovery.

Practicing unusual attitude recovery, deliberately, in IMC, with a high
ceiling, and with a CFII, would address all of these conditions except
instrument failure. That last condition could be addressed by checking
the gauges prior to each entry.

Actually =doing= the maneuvers, even a this way, does entail some risk,
but the benefit is increased IFR sharpness and skills, which translates
into overall safer IFR flying.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.