Old April 28th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default The effects of Ethanol on...

AOPA Pilot has a pretty good story on 100LL and the issues surrounding
replacements for it in the issue I got yesterday. I only got about half way
through it but it had some info I didn't know.

"Tater Schuld" wrote in message
seems odd, isn't ethanol/methanol the main ingredient in gas deicer?

not a pilot or homebuilder, so I can't comment on the original post.

I remember some time ago during the 70's gas crunch there was talk of
selling straight ethanol for fuel. issues then were that a lot of plastics
(maybe rubbers too?) couldn't handle it.

what metals cant handle ethanol? not the water absorbed by ethanol, but
ethanol itself?

in the future I'll be looking into ethanol for fuel for small gas engines,
and work my way up to cars and such, so it will be a moot point.
"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ethanol is acidic and corrosive... It is death to aircraft rubber fuel
tanks, many kinds of rubber seals, corrodes many metals, and is a bad
idea all around... They can't make ethanol fast enough so they will
resort to methanol, which is even more nasty...

But, don't let me stand in your way of knowledge... Do a search on
ethanol + corrosion and find out what I don't know...
cheers ... denny