Old September 30th 05, 10:50 PM
Mark Hansen

On 9/30/2005 14:26, Peter wrote:

Mark Hansen wrote

I must be going thick, but how do I do a procedure turn to turn
through just 30 degrees? Surely it is just a rate one turn?

What's a 'rate one turn'?

In the UK, it is the standard turn as indicated on the TC.

What I've read was that when the turn to the final approach course is
more than 30 degrees, the procedure designers want you to turn outbound
first, to give you a chance to get established on the final approach
course before the FAF.

OK, thanks, I see that for the FAF.

It also illuminates something else: if tracking towards an NDB or a
VOR, which is part of an instrument approach, at which there is a
significant track change, I've been told to do a procedure turn. The
instructor could not quantify it. In this case the turn is necessary
because one assumes there is no DME at the waypoint, so one has to
track *over* the beacon.

More importantly, I was told that it is assumed you are on course
and ready for the approach when you cross the FAF. Even if you could
anticipate the turn using DME, you still would not be 'on course
and ready for the approach when crossing the FAF' ... it would happen
some time later (after you got your airplane established on the
final approach course).

Now ... I'm not saying that such a turn couldn't be made and the
approach safely flown - only that I was told this is the reason for
having the PT in the procedure for these cases.

Sacramento, CA