Old February 18th 10, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default iPAQ 310 Backlight Woes

Hi,

I have been pretty happy with my iPAQ 310 with SeeYou Mobile, but there is
one issue that has been very frustrating. The backlight keeps changing back
to auto-dim mode. I have a customer that is having the same problem. We
can both follow the procedure below to get the backlight to stay on full
power - but it only seems to work for a short time (a few days). It is as
if the settings change back to defaults after power-down or soft resets. I
keep my iPAQ 310 on the charger at all times, so it is not a power issue.

 Open "Backlight Control" and set High backlight (max)
 You don't need to change timeouts in the two upper boxes, because those
values are controlled by "Display Properties".

 Open "Power Properties".
 Power scheme: AC Power
 Set to "Never" all controls.

 Open "Display Properties"
 Select "Backlight" tab
 Select "Automatically turn off backlight while on external power", and set
it to 30 minutes, then exit with Ok.

 Open again "Display Properties"
 Select "Backlight" tab
 DESELECT "Automatically turn off backlight while on external power".
 Exit with Ok.

 Open "Backlight control" again, you will see that "AC power and device is
idle for" box is now EMPTY, correctly. Don't do anything. Press Ok.

I found the procedure above on a web site from one of the XCSoar developers.

Does anyone have a procedure that works and keeps working?

I love the iPAQ 310 except for this one issue.

Thanks,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.