Old February 11th 04, 12:14 AM
Jim Carriere

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On 9 Feb 2004 20:47:53 -0800, (Paul Lee) wrote:

Just a curious question here. Normally when I fly, my pilot logbook
time starts when the hobbs meter starts ticking. That includes probably
10 minutes of taxing, runnup, etc.

What about taxing tests on a experimental? Does that count?

IIRC, you're supposed to log from the point "the aircraft first takes
movement for flight." If the purpose of the engine start is something
other than flight, you don't log it.

I think counting the time on the Hobbs meter comes from the way you pay for
aircraft rental... most places charge for the time on the meter, so you
might as well log it. If it's your own aircraft, your maintenance schedule
probably runs off the Hobbs meter, so you're still paying for that time.

Of course Ron, you're right, the .1 or .2 between startup and taking the
runway technically aren't supposed to be logged.

If one is taxi testing and inadvertently take wing, well, you can legally
log that hop- I think you're actually supposed to. Also, I'm pretty sure I
got air under all four of my car tires (at the same time) once or twice a
lot time ago, but that's a logbook entry better left out...