Old July 12th 03, 02:30 AM
Neal

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:43:44 -0400, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

"Clay" wrote in message m...

Try Stoddard Solvent. This is a the stuff that most shops use to wash
down engines. Works very well.

Also known as Varsol or Texsolve. Any airplane, auto, or print shop has
tons of the stuff. If not, you can find it in small cans at home centers.
Mineral Spirits is a close match as well.

I use a low-vapour "naptha" like what you use in a mechanic's
parts-washer. Probably the same kind of stuff you mentioned by brand
name. My bro-in-law bought some generic in bulk for his machine shop
and I scarfed a couple gallons from him. Works great on the belly of
the plane and doesn't irritate your hands like mineral spirits can.
After cleaning the belly off with this stuff, I then go over it with a
spraycan of Lemon Pledge. This solvent does no harm to the paint
either, but then it's pretty much impossible to hurt the paint on my
plane.