Old August 14th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Consequence of shifting carry-on luggage to checked luggage for aircraft weight

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:35:00 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:
I've e-mailed a question about this to the FAA but I have not yet
received a reply.

Don't hold your breath... I've tried for over a year to get them and
the TSA to differentiate between a 'gun' and 'gun parts' and no one
wants to put their name on the line by making a decision... Since they
won't specify which collection of parts of a firearm constitute a
complete 'gun', any collection of gun parts would have to be declared
as a gun in your baggage... Which means that a single screw that holds
the grips on a handgun must be declared and and more importantly, the
bag containing it must be locked...

I think you'd be safe if you used the same definition as the federal
government which would be the part that has the serial number on it. As an
example a 1911 pistol the frame is the gun and is what is regulated. In the
case of an AR-15 it would be the lower receiver.