Old April 26th 04, 06:27 PM
Vaughn Simon

"Dave Katz" wrote in message
"Vaughn" writes:

Saying that the plane "will occasionally end up in an inadvertent
spin" is a lot like calling it a plane that "will occasionally end up
crumpled on the side of a mountain in clouds and freezing rain."

True, but most planes can recover from a spin but not from a crash into
a mountain so I don't get your comparison.

You have to be trying really hard to spin one; it's hard to pin that on

the
plane.

I am not blaming the plane! This is a serious plane that will be flown
IFR by owner-pilots who do not fly actual IFR every day; as such, it will
occasionally end up in a spin. The BRS will give a wonderful last-ditch
option that a certain Kennedy would have appreciated, but IMO that does not
substitute for the capability of recovering normally should you spin out of
the bottom of a cloud or (for example) end up in an inadvertant
training-induced spin.

Again, I love the BRS but think that it should not substitute for
live-saving flying qualities.

We can probably all recite the standard spin recovery procedure. I
suspect that a significant number of us have never experienced a spin
nor actually done the procedure, and should it happen in real life will
probably be really confused and disoriented for long enough to die.

That is a whole 'nuther thread.

Vaughn