Old August 27th 09, 09:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

Default Replacing Interior Glider Pockets?

On Aug 26, 10:28*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
I own a DG and the interior pockets are quickly becoming less like
pockets and more like tubes without bottoms...if you know what I mean.

So I am planning a winter project to replace these pockets. *I can sew
but a few questions leap to mind;

1) What material are pockets typically made of? *Anything special that
I won't find at the local sewing shop?
2) What is used at the top of the pocket to make it stretchy.
3) The pocket is attached to a long piece of matching material along
the interior. *I assume that this long piece has some stiff material
inside to give it rigidity. *What is it?
4) I assume that the old pocket is glued to the wall of the glider.
Any tricks in removing this?
5) What do I use to attach the new pocket to the wall of the glider?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. *As always I will photograph
my results and put them on my web site. *http://aviation.derosaweb.net.

- John DeRosa

You want to use something hard-wearing for the pocket, which means an
ordinary domestic sewing machine might have problems sewing it. An
old Singer would be the beast for the job - my mother used to use one
for heavy-duty stiching. It also produces a very nice stitch. The
pockets in mine look to be made of moquetet, as does the seat pad
cover. I think they are original and the glider is 20 years old.
It's also used in the UK for seat coverings in buses and so on, though
getting some might be harder than other stuff. However hard-wearing
upholstry material should be long-lasting. Also use stronger elastic
than knicker elastic. If you use strong elastic but don't stretch it
much you should get a satisfactory result - weak elastic stretched a
lot has a short life. Consider putting pleats in the pocket at each
end and/or the bottom to increase the volumn of the pocket. Don't
skimp on the seam allowances and overcast the edges in some way. Even
Copydexing them would be better than leaving them raw.

I have seen gliders with the pockets screwed to the cockpit wall but
it would be obvious if yours was done that way.