Old May 30th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Rep Rangel introduces Draft Bill (for Iran?!):

Ed Rasimus wrote:

A draft bill is totally ludicrous. Conscripts don't
have the retainability or the necessary skills for the configuration
of the current US military establishment. If you've watched operations
recently you might have noted that we no longer depend upon massed
forces marching in lock-step across the plains of Waterloo.

Who says conscription has to be non-selective?

There's already something of a seperate draft for medical personel.

If a general draft were implemented again, why could it not be set up
to cherry pick only those with the skills / general education /
maturity the military thinks they can work with.

IMHO a draft is a bad idea because getting into situation that would
require it are bad ideas.

But I don't see why one could not be workable, if it were designed
around the same personel needs that the military is currently
struggling to find voluneteer applications for.