Old December 12th 04, 07:02 PM
Roy Smith

"Stan Prevost" wrote:

Boy, I haven't used telnet in a decade! More civilized things come along,
you know. :-)

Under WinXP, I can't get it to work. When I enter "telnet 131.131.7.102",
nothing seems to happen, no response. When I enter "telnet
direct.duats.com", I get to the system. It asks for the user code, I enter
it, then I get two lines back, "Enter Password:", and "Invalid Password".
Can't get past that. Three tries, it quits.

I just looked at my duats alias on one of my boxes and found I've been
using "telnet -K". The manpage (Mac-OSX) says -K "Specifies no
automatic login to the remote system."

It shouldn't be necessary, since the telnet client and server should
negotiate this stuff automatically. Still, if memory serves, on some
long-forgotten system, adding the -K did allow me to connect when
leaving the -K out didn't. It's worth a try if all else fails.