Old January 25th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

Default Mythbusters Episode and FMS

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:15:54 -0800, in
.com, Marco Leon wrote:

snip

Although they are not that bad of a show to watch sometimes, I've noticed
some of their experiments that were not exactly right... They did one on
exiting a car underwater recently... Their experiments methods came to the
conclusion that it was not possible to roll the window down on a car once
it was submerged due to the pressure on the window... To simulate this,
they put some weights on the window of a car door held in a horizontal
position... If you look closely at it, it seems pretty obvious that the
weights window was cracking open up to the point where the weights started
hitting the bottom edge of the window... I suspect that the results
from water pressure being distributed across the face of the window
would not act the same... At the very least, even the small amount that
the window would open would allow the water to enter the vehicle quicker
and as such equalize pressure quicker and thus allow you to open the door
quicker...

I seen the exact same thing last night. Why they just didn't submerge the
car and let Jamie mess with it with his scuba gear on was a little dumb, it
would have taken 2 minutes.

DW