Old September 8th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

Default 600 square miles?

We flew to Reno yesterday on bussiness. We looked for him on thethere.
When we took off out of Reno my Bonanza had a hard time flying. I kept
thinking of the accident the other one had. Reno has an 11000 ft runway so
it wasnt a problem.
If it was 4000 and trees at the end there might of been problems.
"Hilton" wrote in message
. net...
Hi,

OK, help me with my math here. If Fossett's groundspeed was (just) 90
knots and he had 5 hours of fuel (according to the media), then pi*R^2 =
3.141 * 450 * 450 = 636,172 square miles (NM). If you convert that for
the non-aviators, it is about 731,598 square miles (SM).

OK, I understand that there is some 'bounding' going on (i.e. he's not
going to overfly SFO and keep going west), but still, for it to be only
600 square miles, you'd have to know the exact radial/bearing and only
search a little more than 0.5 miles on either side of that. Or
alternatively, from the airport, he was only going to fly for 9 minutes in
any direction.

Hilton