Old May 2nd 16, 08:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Glide ratio with full brakes and side slip

On Saturday, 30 April 2016 14:30:08 UTC+3, Jim Kellett wrote:

In a modern glider, the side slip is GREAT for crosswind landings, but the forward slip is darn near useless for losing altitude. I teach forward slips to students only because it's in the PTS, but I teach full spoilers and increased speed to get a steep approach. That works like a charm, produces a glide ratio WAY lower than 1:7, and is a lot easier to manage than it sounds.

This is the EXACT recipe how to destroy DuoDiscus while landing out. It is so exactly opposite to what you should do that it is almost scary. Probably works on 2-33 or whatever only-slightly-glider-shaped-object you teach on, though.