Old July 2nd 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

Default Getting the MOCA

What's FSVO?
"for some value of". I am slightly nonspecificating the words "we" and
"they".

What's nonspecificating?

Making less specific, or more nonspecific.

"We are getting thrown by the usage of the word 'use'." is an example -
the word "we" could mean you and I, it could mean everyone on this
newsgroup, it could mean all the posters that responded, it could mean
all the turkeys that disagree with me... and no doubt somebody will
interpret the word to include himself and disagree that "we" is
appropriate. But there is "some value of 'we'" for which (I claim) the
statement is true.

Similarly "they" could refer to the other turkeys that disagree with me
g, the FAA, aliens, whatever. There is some value of "they" for which
the statement is true.

By making the statement, I am implying (but will now explicitly state)
that the values of "we" and "they" are reasonable values in the context
of the discussion, but it is not important exactly what those values are
to the point I'm trying to make.

The term comes from math and science - as in "for some value of x, the
derivative of the function is zero". Geeks have expanded the usage of
"value" so that it includes common usages of other words.

Jose
--
2+2=5 for extremely small values of 5.