Old July 16th 20, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luka Žnidaršič[_2_]

Default OLC comment, MOP logging deactivated

4.6.2020 I wrote email:

Dear Rainer,

Recently many FES owners asking about MOP2 installation as ENL is not accepted anymore.

Also on your FAQ is written:

1.18 FES aircraft with invalid logger recording, what can I do?

- For aircraft with a too low noise level, for example all aircraft with front electric sustainer (FES), the MOP level must also be recorded.
- Only the MOP2 sensor from LXNAV is approved by the OLC.

Please note that FES equipped gliders do not have a problem with too low ENL, as propeller is installed in the nose and noise frequency is such that it is easily recognizable by ENL. As you know ENL is problematic with jet gliders (for jets was developed MOP) and also with retractable electric like Antares for which MOP2 was developed.

For FES I think ENL should be accepted. I can provide many igc files for investigation (you can compare, ENL, MOP and FES bridge values).

While FES bridge is quite simple to install, is installation of MOP2 difficult after glider left the manufacturer.*

Another problem is that MOP2 works only with most recent instruments from LXNAV. Usage with older instruments is not possible.

Please consider accepting ENL as before.

How is with data from FES bridge?

Kind regards,

Luka

I received next answer:

Hi Luka,
thanks for your mail and sry. for our late answer.
Last winter we made a lot of effort to integrate FES aircrafts into the OLC..
After reviewing the documentation, we decided to approve only the LXNAV MOP Type 2 sensor in the first year of introduction, because it is the only IGC approved sensor that measures both electrically and ENL.
We have already published this in April in the OLC magazine and there will be no change/extension in the OLC for the time being.
We have to gain experience now.
We ask for your understanding for our decision.
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards - Reiner