Old May 19th 04, 07:18 PM
Dave Butler

Stimbo wrote:
What are the recommended procedures in obtaining an IFR clearance
enroute?

Flying from NJ to FL, I prefer to fly VFR, but undoubtedly I will
encounter IMC along the way. If I filed IFR in advance, it takes 1/2
hour or more to clear it through ATC. I obviously cannot wait 1/2
hour if I encounter IMC enroute.

I've never experienced the half-hour delay you describe. Of course, if you file
before leaving home in the expectation that you may or may not pick up a
clearance at some point way down the line, I can see where that could cause
problems. You were never "departed" by ATC from your point of origin, so sectors
on down the line never got your strip. When you call and want to pick up your
clearance, they don't know who you are. Your strip is sitting back at your
departure airport.

Is there an "acceptable" procedure enroute if I start seeing a cumulus
build-up in front of me? Do I have to land and file? Do I file with
FSS and wait 1/2 hour before I open with Center? Can I file directly
with Center? Is this idea generally "frowned upon" by ATC?

If you're near your destination, just call on the TRACON frequency and ask for a
"local IFR clearance" for arrival. In the destination-TRACON's airspace, I've
never had it denied.

Calling enroute (not the destination's airspace) I have had mixed results. It
doesn't hurt to ask. You'll either (a) get the clearance you want, or (b) be
told "unable" and directed to call Flight Service, in which case you, uhhhh,
call Flight Service. When I've done this, ATC had my clearance by the time I
switched frequencies. What's the half-hour delay? Never happened to me. I think
the Flight Service dude just types your flight plan directly into the ARTCC
computer.

I'm not necessarily looking for regulations as I am for practical
experiences that others have witnessed.

Thanks for any tips.

My strategy is, if I think I might encounter IMC, I just go ahead and file from
the get-go. But you said you prefer to go VFR if able.

Do you mind talking to ATC when you're VFR? If not, you can use the technique
that's been described here in an earlier thread, where you file a flight plan,
check the IFR box, and then put "VFR/altitude" in the altitude box. That gets
you an ATC strip, and when you leave you call up ATC and ask for VFR advisories
and tell them "you probably already have a strip for me". That gets you
"departed". Stay with the VFR advisories all the way along, and when you get to
some IMC, you can ask for a clearance, and they already have all the information
on you. Google for the -long- thread in which this was discussed on r.a.i.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.