Old August 7th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

Default HARBOR FREIGHT QUALITY

wrote in message
Someone wrote: 'YOUR OUT OF YOUR F**KING MIND' ...with regard to
suggesting people buy ANYTHING from Harbor Freight.

I disagree.

I've come to see HF products as a kind of semi-finished kit, something
you have to take apart, clean up, align and re-assemble before you can
use it.

See those angle-head grinders over there? Most wear out in a matter
of hours... unless you dismantle the gear-box, add a Zerk and fill the
thing with high-pressure moly lube. Give it a shot of lube now &
then, the things last a good long time. Ditto for their gear-head
bench mill. I took about a tea-cup of SAND out of the thing, then
dressed the gears, stoned the ways, did all the usual stuff a
machinist does to ensure his tools run true... and it does.

The point here is that the odds of plugging in a tool from Harbor
Freight -- and having the thing actually work! -- are vanishingly
small. But the difference between a usable tool and a piece of junk
is often no more than a bit of attention on your part.

Some insist this is kinda crazy -- buying a tool only to fix it. (Like
the ALL CAPS profanity fellow.) But a fundamental part of having and
using tools is knowing how to maintain them, from simple sharpening
chores to periodic re-alignment & adjustments. With HF tools you
simply start with the maintenance. By the time you're ready to put
the tool to work you know it will do a good job.

-R.S.Hoover

RS,
I add my agreement. I got a hunnerd-dollar air compresor from them about
five years ago, and it is still doing everything it shouold. No prob.

Likewise, the dial calipers and the digital calipers. I'm fussy about
measuring instruments, and the HF stuff is just as good as Amtos, SPI, and
all the "next-to-prime" lines. In fact, I expect they are made by the same
folks on the same machinery.

I haven't had cause to regret any purchase, yet. and HF is only an hour's
drive up the pike from me. And I've bought a lot of other stuff there. One
thing, I bought three of the $9.99 all-purpose, wind-up, solar, batteries,
110vac AM/FM radios, the ones with the light on the end, and they all work
well, four years later. (Now, they are $19.99) One goes fishing with me.

Flash