Old February 12th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon[_5_]

Default Rent vs. Own

I have a Warrior which is similar in many respects to a Cessna 172. I live
in the NY Metro area so adjust your estimates for your local area
accordingly

1) Storage (what is the price difference between hangar and tie down?)

Tiedown for me is $105/month going to $140 soon. Hangars have a 9-year
waiting list at $550/month (no heat or electricity)

2) Insurance for plane

About $1300 smooth and $950 with limits

3) Normal service for plane (how often does the plane have to be
serviced...and approximately how much?)

Annual is about $1200 including minor fixes

4) Repairs (I understand this is unpredictable...is their an annual
"average" cost for problems?)

I wind up spending under $1000 a year sometimes more sometimes less.

I have a spreadsheet that can calculate the hourly costs with adjustments
for multiple partners. I can email it to you if you're interested. However,
be aware that the results may be eye-opening.

Marco

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
Since this is an aircraft owners newsgroup, that means it's the perfect
place to ask about the costs associated with owning an airplane vs. renting.

Since I haven't started my private pilot lessons, I'm not familiar with all
of the expenses associated with owning an aircraft. I have listed below a
brief list of likely expenses (I think) and I asking for feedback on it.

I do understand that costs for each item can vary greatly from place to
place and according to many factors, but I think this is a good start. I am
imagining the purchase of a Cessna 172 with a couple of private pilot
buddies and I came up with this:

1) Storage (what is the price difference between hangar and tie down?)
2) Insurance for plane
3) Normal service for plane (how often does the plane have to be
serviced...and approximately how much?)
4) Repairs (I understand this is unpredictable...is their an annual
"average" cost for problems?)

Can you give me a basic idea?