Old June 15th 04, 03:58 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
Guy Alcala writes:
Dave Eadsforth wrote:

In article et,
Frijoles writes

snip

I too wondered about the circle thing watching "B.O.B." the other night.
Seems its just something one got used to over time.

SNIP old stuff

A fellow air cadet and I raided a fire dump when staying at an RAF
station (MANY years ago). We got the control column tops out of a
Meteor trainer destined for fire practice - I got the 'modern' handle
and my pal got the WWII spade grip. Wish we'd done it the other way
around now...

Which reminds me -- the spade grip was pretty much SOP for RAF fighters during
WW2. Anyone know which a/c first dispensed with it and went with a standard
sticktop? I know the Hunter had a regular top, although it too was pivoted about
halfway down to avoid the "hitting the knee" problems that Pete mentioned. OTOH
it had powered controls, so brute force wasn't an issue, and they could have
geared the stick throw however they wanted. Anyone know what the Meteor and
Vampire used? IIRR the latter had the hand-operated brake lever, so probably had
the spade grip.

The Vampire, at least the T.11/T.35 most definitely has a regular
stick grip. The brake lever sits in front, sort of like that of a
bicycle. (It's not as comfortable as teh grip on a T-33, though -
just a straight handle.

Here's a pictu (watch the wrap)
http://www.airmuseumsuk.org/dhaircra...%20cockpit.htm

--