Old April 24th 04, 02:48 PM
Magnus

That doesn't make any sense to me. So which VOR am I supposed to use
for Jacksonvill Intl. then? It doesn't havve a VOR anywhere in the C
airspace. The only VOR in that entire region is Craig, but that's not
even close to jacksonville.

It doesn't make sense to me to have a chart that defines COMM areas
based on VORs when the chart is for VFR flights only.

If I'm flying to Jacksonville VFR I won't have a VOR to use as my point
of reference because there's none there.

Why would the makers of the chart even consider using radiostations,
all that matters is to have a point of reference from which the courses
should be drawn so you can identify which fq you should contact
approach on, and from that viewpoint using the actual airport makes
more sense than some VOR that might or might not be there.

More importantly, I have NOT found any information that actually states
how the legend on the sectional was meant to be used. Surely there must
be some source of information for these charts detailing how they
should be used? How do examiners and instructors determine that these
numbers next to the frequencies are from VORs? There's nothing on the
chart legend that suggest it.

On 2004-04-24 08:48:20 -0400, "Travis Marlatte"
said:

The radial from the VOR merely defines the airspace for that frequency. It
does not require that you use the VOR in flight to determine whether you are
in that space or not. The same is true for defining TSAs and many restricted
or prohibited airspace.

Relate the information to your sectional and then determine your position
relative to that airspace via normal pilotage.