Old April 24th 04, 05:00 PM
Peter Duniho

"Magnus" wrote in message
[...]
1. Why would they use VOR radials for this on a VFR chart, when a VOR
isn't even required for VFR flight?

Someone else answered that. You don't need a VOR receiver to be able to
know where a VOR radial is, when flying VFR.

2. The C airspace set up for Jacksonville international doesn't even
have a VOR.

Is there a source where I can get more information on the legend that
the sectionals have?

I'm still trying to figure out why it matters. At an airport without a VOR,
obviously they cannot be radials from the VOR. At an airport with a VOR,
the difference between a radial and a bearing from the airport is, for the
purposes of determining which frequency to use for ATC, inconsequential. If
you are so close to the radial/bearing that it makes a difference, the right
frequency to use is the one for the sector you're about the fly into,
regardless of which side of which boundary you happen to be on.

The only boundary case I can see even coming close to mattering is if you
happen to be flying inbound or outbound right smack on the boundary itself.
My guess is that in that case, ATC doesn't care which sector you contact.
If they do, it is easy enough for them to send you over to the correct one,
if you happen to choose the wrong one.

If I had to guess, I'd guess it's bearing from the airport, for the reasons
pointed out already (that defining it as VOR radials would be meaningless at
an airport without a VOR). But in reality, the sectors can be chopped up
differently from what's on the chart anyway, due to those pesky letters of
agreement. Use the chart as a guideline as best you can, and if you get it
wrong, no big deal. ATC will straighten things out.

Pete