Old July 2nd 03, 04:44 AM
L'acrobat

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
Subject: What is an air combat victory? Pure egoism.
From: "Peter Glasų" pgglaso@ broadpark.no

Studying past wars and campaigns is an essential part in the education of
military leaders - and historians play a key part in this.I think this is
taken very,very serious indeed at academies like west point and

sandhurst.

Yes,but it is all after the fact. And many of these historians never fired

shot or even saw a battle much less were in one. I rememeber when Keegan's

book
"The Face of Battle" was published. I rushed down to get a copy. I skipped

the
introduction and started reading voraciously. It was a let down. After

few
pages I put it down. I came back later and read some more. Something was
missing with this book. It was a book about battle but I couldn't smell

the
gunpowder. Where was the stink of the Cordite? It wasn't there. I then

read the
introduction and all came clear. Keegan was never in a battle. He never

even
saw one. His experience was zero. He is a "historian" who writes books

that
lack the sting of battle. I never finished it. Reality in real time just
isn't there. That is my personal take on it anyway. Your mileage may

vary.

Or to put it another way, it was a scholarly work based on collated fact
rather than the biased tripe you spout and evidently like to read as well.

By your own standards nothing you say on any subject except B26 ops is worth
anything.

Perhaps you have a point after all.