Old July 30th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

Default Oshkosh attendance

wrote in message
For me, OSH is out of the question this year. With so many costs up,
flat income, and the cost of fuel so high, it is just not in the
cards. I am wondering if there are others in the same boat.

EAA carefully guards attendance figures but for those that are there,
what does it look like? Lots of open aircraft parking spaces and thin
crowds?

Bob

I landed on Sunday AM and left today (Tuesday) at noon. Walking the grounds
on Sunday, there were plenty of open spaces in the AM, but by the time I
ended my end-to-end death march, the homebuilt parking (including camping)
was full, and the South 40 (which goes on seemingly forever) was full except
for the most Southern 10 or so rows.

I did not have a chance to walk the North 40.

There were open spaces in the outdoor fly-market, but it seemed like the
"missing" element was the subset of vendors who push fancy ladders, neato
cookware, and super-dooper $8 sunglasses.

There is a real threat of weather - anyone who needs to head South or who
wants to fly south to Chicago, then East, may get cut off by weather. When
I left today, holes were beginning to open up due to people trying to beat
the front...

KB