Old December 2nd 09, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Baker

Default visualisation of the lift distribution over a wing

In article ,
Scott wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
Ed wrote:

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:07:16 -0600, brian whatcott
wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:
/snip/ it is the air below pushing
you up that lifts the wing.
Stealth Pilot
In most circumstances, suction on the upper surface contributes about
2/3 rds of the lift, and pressure on the lower surface contributes about
1/3 rd.
That's one reason which rib stitching for rag wings is a biggy.

Brian W
I have never noticed the fabric lifting on my wings, however I have
seen the fuel siphon out of a wing tank due to an improperly applied
fuel cap.

And greater pressure in the tank than outside of it...

Right, but in a sealed metal tank, is all that other fuel PUSHING the
fuel out of the vent since air can't PULL it out?

First of all, the tank is not completely sealed. If it were, the fuel
pumps would soon have difficult pumping the fuel out of the tank.

So, yes, the greater pressure inside the tank is pushing the fuel out.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia