Old January 17th 18, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default Tying down a fiber glass ship.

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 11:01:43 -0800, JS wrote:

This is a great subject. Most glider manufacturers neglect the need for
real tiedown points, especially on single seaters.

Agreed: Here's what I put together to tie my Std Libelle down:

http://www.gregorie.org/gliding/tie-down/

I'm very pleased with the result, which work well with or without
CloudDancer covers on the glider.

Rather than Jim's "bras" I made moulded, foam lined fittings that slip
over the tip TEs. If you run the tiedown ropes inboard, over the LE and
vertically down to the anchors, then they tend to hold the mouldings in
place and don't put unwanted stresses on the wings because there are no
fore/aft loads applied. I used:

- balsa and blue foam to make make forms for the foam lined fittings
because my background for this sort of thing is in model building

- carbon and glass cloth plus epoxy for the fitting because I had all
three available

- pieces of a foam sheet underlay for a sleeping bag as the
foam linings because its cheap, soft enough and durable

- 'Claw' tiedowns because they were about the same price as corkscrew
anchors, easier to use, less bulky to transport and have shown no
sign of working loose on strong, gusty winds.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org