Old June 18th 04, 02:36 AM
John Ammeter

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:12:04 GMT, Dennis Fetters
wrote:

As a matter of fact, I was involved a great deal with the Rotax
distributor and provided them a great deal of knowledge helping to make
that warning. Yes I did know before they wrote that warning and I agreed
with them. They are handicapped because there are hundreds of different
aircraft using their engines and all installed by the public. What a
nightmare!!

1. Correct, it was written by the attorneys of the people that made the
engine, and for good reason in this sue happy country.

2. The engines fail mostly due to improper installation and operation
from lack of the ability to control the public and insure proper
installation and operation.

r.

Dennis Fetters

Dennis,

I'm sure no one will doubt your ability to sell helicopters.
You designed a product that would appeal to many people; in
particular, to the new builder or pilot.

It was "cute" and "sporty", to say the least....

Unfortunately, due to the very nature of your customer base,
most of the new owner/builders had little or no real
experience in building aircraft, let alone a helicopter with
its many specific needs.

Where you failed your customers was in failing to realize
that you absolutely had to detail exactly how the 2 stroke
Rotax was to be installed. Your failure was most likely due
to your expectation that the builder would know more than
they did...

If/when you ever get back into the kit sales business I'd
strongly suggest you hire someone to write the builders
manual in such a way that even the newbie will know exactly
what to do and how to do it.

Also, I'd suggest a motor that wasn't so dependant on EXACT
jetting for dependability. When the motor worked as planned
an FAA standard pilot could fly the helicopter... BUT, when
a 200 pound pilot attempted to fly the helicopter at the
2500 foot elevation of Las Vegas and 80 degrees it was not
possible to get out of ground effect. I was there and saw
it...

John